Imagine you had the best day and are in a great mood. Then, you get home and realize your dog chewed through another expensive dog bed! You don't let it ruin your day, but you decide you need to invest in one of the best dog beds for chewers.
As dog owners, we treat our dogs like family. At the end of the day, though, they're still dogs, and chewing is an instinct. Luckily, the best dog beds for chewers are great at withstanding the chewing habit your dog loves so much.
Chew and Snooze
When your dog likes to chew on everything, it can be a waste to give them anything but the hardest, most durable toys. But that doesn't mean your dog shouldn't have anything soft.
The best dog beds for chewers are just as comfortable as any other bed, but they're also durable. That way, they can withstand whatever your pooch throws, or bites, at it.
Why do dogs chew on their beds?
If your dog doesn't chew on anything, they probably won't chew on their bed. However, dogs who like to chew on more than their toys will probably want to chew on any dog bed you give them.
In some cases, it might have something to do with boredom. Some dogs experience separation anxiety, so chewing is their way of relieving stress. And if you have a puppy, they might just be working on their teething, just like a human toddler.
What do the best dog beds for chewers have in common?
The most important factor in differentiating the best dog beds for chewers is durability. If you get the cheapest dog bed, your dog will probably chew right through it.
So you'll need something with more padding and some extra stitching to keep your dog from ripping into the bed.
You should also choose a supportive and comfortable dog bed. After all, your dog will probably spend a lot of time there. You want your pup to feel well-rested after a nap.
With any dog bed, you should consider your dog's size. A big dog won't fit on a smaller bed. On the other hand, a small dog doesn't need much space to sleep.
Choosing the Chew for You
The best dog beds for chewers are, of course, durable. However, they also offer many of the same qualities as other dog beds.
To find the best dog beds for chewers, we took our search online.
We looked for popular options with durable fabrics and sturdy construction. However, we also wanted a variety of options. Some of the best dog beds for chewers might work for some dogs but not others.
While the best dog beds for chewers are going to be comfortable and durable, they won't completely stop your dog's chewing habit. If you have concerns about the chewing, we recommend talking to your vet for advice and more information.
The Very Best Dog Beds for Chewers
The best dog beds should be comfortable and supportive. The best dog beds for chewers take it a step further by using durable materials to combat your dog's bite.
Because your dog will spend a lot of time in their bed, you will probably also need one that's easy to clean.
So, here are some of the best dog beds for chewers you can buy today:
K9 Ballistics Tough Rectangle Orthopedic Dog Bed
- Nearly Indestructible & Chew Proof Dog Bed: for dogs who dig, scratch, and lightly nibble their bed from time to time. If your dog uses their bed as a rawhide chew toy, please see the K9 Ballistics Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed.
- Chew Resistant Dog Bed Cover: tough and durable dog bed cover similar to Kevlar, only stronger! The ripstop dog bed fabric is machine washable and easy to clean. Dog bed cover resists dirt, grime, and smelly odors.
- Orthopedic Dog Bed Foam: we use CertiPUR-US foam which we cut ourselves in our manufacturing facility in the United States. Our orthopedic dog bed mattress won't allow your dog to sink through to the floor. Even the largest and heaviest dogs cannot flatten this orthopedic dog bed!
The K9 Ballistics Tough Rectangle Orthopedic Dog Bed is an excellent option for dogs of all sizes. It's almost indestructible, and it can withstand chewing, digging, and scratching.
This bed's cover is stronger than Kevlar, so your dog won't be able to chew through it easily. You can even throw the cover in the wash, and it will resist dirt, odor, and grime.
K9 Ballistics uses Certi-PUR foam, which means it doesn't contain harsh chemicals. The foam will prevent your dog from sinking to the floor, and it can support even the biggest, heaviest dogs.
If your dog is prone to accidents, the lining is water-resistant.
This bed comes in sizes small through XX-large, so you can choose the size that's best for your dog. It also comes in a variety of colors to match your dog's other accessories.
Unfortunately, this bed isn't actually indestructible. Also, the cover can be difficult to remove and put back on.
Where to buy
K9 Ballistics Chew Proof Armored Elevated Dog Bed
- Chew Proof Dog Bed: For dogs who persistently chew their beds, and who've turned lesser dog beds into a pile of rags. Not just chew resistant, this dog bed is an indestructible dog bed.
- Chew Resistant Dog Bed: This elevated dog bed resists all destructive dog habits such as chewing, biting, scratching, digging, and nesting. This is due in part to the full aluminum dog bed design, and also to the ripstop ballistic fabric used for the bed.
- Indestructible Dog Bed: Even persistent chewing dogs cannot destroy this bed. Though some dogs may damage the fabric bed sling, we back it with a 180 Day Chew Proof Warranty. (see details below)
Also from K9 Ballistics, the Chew Proof Armored Elevated Dog Bed is great for dogs who would easily chew through a mattress. This dog bed has an aluminum frame and uses a layer of durable fabric to create a supportive sling.
Supposedly, this bed is indestructible. Either way, it's definitely chew-proof. It resists chewing, biting, scratching, and digging, which can be nice if your dog is more than a chewer.
K9 Ballistics does admit some dogs might chew through the fabric, but they offer a 180-day warranty.
This bed comes in multiple sizes for small, medium, and large dogs. It also comes in a few different colors and patterns. You can easily clean the bed, and the aluminum frame keeps the ends of the fabric tucked away.
However, some dogs could still chew through it. It's also not the best for big dogs.
Where to buy
Kuranda Standard Walnut PVC Dog Bed
- HIGH STRENGTH PVC frame supports up to 100 lbs. For heavier dogs, try the Kuranda All Aluminum Dog Bed or Midnight Black Aluminum Dog Bed.
- Elevated/Raised orthopedic design to keep your dog dry, cool, and comfortable.
- Easy to Clean, guaranteed to stand up to repeated cleaning.
The Kuranda Standard Walnut PVC Dog Bed is another elevated dog bed. It can support dogs up to 100 pounds.
This bed has an orthopedic design. Plus, since it's elevated, it can keep your dog cool and dry. The material is as durable as canvas, and it offers good traction for when your dog gets in or out of it.
Because of the frame, your dog won't be able to get to the edges of the fabric, which can cut down on chewing. At the very least, they won't chew through this bed, but they might still try.
Like some of the other best dog beds for chewers, this one comes in multiple sizes and colors. While the material is durable, it won't withstand more intense chewing.
Also, this bed requires assembly before you can use it.
Where to buy
Kuranda All-Aluminum Dog Bed
- Patented, CHEWPROOF HIGH STRENGTH, lightweight aircraft grade aluminum frame supports up to 250lbs.
- Elevated/Raised orthopedic design to keep your dog dry, cool, and comfortable indoors and outdoors.
- Easy to Clean, guaranteed to stand up to repeated cleaning.
If you have a bigger dog and like the idea of the previous bed, consider the Kuranda All Aluminum Dog Bed instead. This bed can support up to 250 pounds, which means the bigger ones might even fit two dogs.
This elevated bed keeps your dog cool and comfortable, and the aluminum frame keeps the edges hidden. That way, your dog can't start chewing through the bed as easily.
This bed is easy to clean, and you can clean it multiple times without damaging it. The fabric is heavy-duty vinyl, which can support almost any dog.
It's a great option for big dogs, multiple dogs, or dogs who like to dig as well as chew. This bed comes with a one-year warranty.
You can choose from multiple sizes and colors, which means you can get the perfect bed for your dog.
Where to buy
BarkBox Memory Foam Dog Bed
- HIGH QUALITY COMFORT: The therapeutic gel memory foam comforts your dog by relieving body aches, joint pain, hip dysplasia, and arthritis, and giving optimal therapeutic support. It also works great as a cat bed, or a bed for all pets!
- WATERPROOF & MACHINE WASHABLE: Easily combat accidents and keep your dog's bed looking and smelling fresh and clean. No more messes! The zippered cover slides off seamlessly for convenient cleaning! Just throw it in the wash and it'll be good as new.
- MULTIPLE SIZES: *Note some of our sizing has changed--please read carefully* -- Pick the perfect size for your pup! Available in Small (16" x 24" x 3"), Medium (18" x 29" x 3"), Large (22" x 35" x 3"), and XL (41" x 29" x 4"). Arrives as a vacuum packed bed in a box, easily unzip and let it inflate for up to 72 hours!
You might have heard of the dog subscription service BarkBox. Well, they also make durable dog beds.
The Memory Foam Dog Bed is an excellent choice if your dog prefers a mattress-style bed.
It combines ergonomic memory foam and gel foam, which can help reduce aches and pains in your dog's joints. The bed can even help with arthritis and similar issues.
This bed is waterproof and machine-washable, which is nice if your dog has an accident. The mattress is four inches thick, and it comes in different sizes to fit your dog's weight.
It comes vacuum-packed in a box, and it can take up to 72 hours to fully expand. This bed is great for all dogs, but especially bigger breeds like retrievers, shepherds, and hounds.
You can choose from a few different colors to match your dog's aesthetic. It also comes as a bolster bed, which has supportive sides rather than just a flat mattress.
Unfortunately, the large size may not be big enough for some dogs.
Where to buy
PetFusion Ultimate Pet Bed & Lounge
- PREMIUM COMPONENTS: (i) Solid 6" memory foam base for superior comfort, reduced joint pain and improved health, mobility & energy. (ii) Calming bed for dogs who suffer from anxiety. (iii) Recycled 'green' polyfill bolsters generously filled. (iv) Durable & comfortable polyester (65%) & cotton (35%) twill
- SMART DESIGN: (i) Base & bolsters provide optimal support and comfort. (II) Water resistant & tear resistant cover. (III) Non-skid bottom. (iv) Blends in seamlessly with your décor. (v) Replacement covers available separately
- EASY TO CLEAN: (i) Removable outer cover is machine washable. (II) Waterproof inner white liner surrounding memory foam mattress (III) Simple to spot clean & remove hair
The PetFusion Ultimate Pet Bed & Lounge is yet another of the best dog beds for chewers. It has a solid, six-inch-thick memory foam base, which is both comfortable and supportive.
This bed can help calm dogs with anxiety, which could help some dogs who chew as a coping mechanism. The cover is water-resistant and tear-resistant, and it's also easy to clean.
This bed can fit dogs of all sizes, and there are different sizes available so your dog can have the perfect size. If you need to replace the cover, you can buy a replacement separately.
Luckily, removing the cover and putting it on is fairly straightforward. You can choose between three colors to fit in with other furniture or decor.
Unfortunately, the zippers on the cover aren't great quality. Also, the fabric retains fur quite easily.
Where to buy
Furhaven Deluxe Chaise Lounge
- PERFECT FOR CUDDLING: The Furhaven L-Chaise Pet Dog Bed features a dual-bolster L-shaped design that allows your pup to sleep in a variety of positions, while providing plenty of cushioned headrest space and the perfect nook for burrowing into.
- SLEEP SURFACE: Plush faux fur tops the mattress cushion, accompanied by fluffy bolsters wrapped in silken velvet. Both materials are gentle on noses and paws, offering a mix of luxurious coziness and cuddly soft snuggles.
- EASY ON JOINTS: The egg-crate foam base helps to evenly distribute body weight to improve circulation, while the recycled fluffy railings provide orthopedic support for aching joints. The bed is also made accessible for elderly and disabled pets.
Dogs who like the end of the couch will love the Furhaven Deluxe Chaise Lounge. It looks like the end of a couch, with the raised sides and everything.
This bed uses a supportive foam, and material options include gel foam, memory foam, and orthopedic foam. Its design gives your dog multiple options for laying or sleeping.
This bed has an egg-crate foam base to distribute your dog's weight and aid in circulation. While it may not be the best for teething dogs, the edges do have some reinforcement.
If your dog tends to tear things at the seams, this might be one of the best dog beds for chewers like your dog. It's also a great choice for elderly and disabled dogs.
This bed comes in different sizes and colors based on your dog's needs.
Where to buy
Brindle Shredded Memory Foam Pet Bed
- A 3-inch layer of orthopedic shredded memory foam fill eliminates pressure points and increases breathability
- Portable, lightweight bed is great for travel and compatible with 24" X 18" Dog crates
- Soft, supportive consistency conforms to weight and pressure to relieve achy joints, arthritis and hip dysplasia
If you're on a tighter budget but still want one of the best dog beds for chewers, consider the Brindle Shredded Memory Foam Pet Bed. It has a three-inch layer of memory foam fill to eliminate pressure points and add breathability.
This bed is portable and lightweight, which makes it great for travel or for use in a crate. The soft consistency conforms to your dog's body to relieve aches and pains.
You can also remove the cover to wash it, just don't put the actual bed in the washer.
Like other dog beds, this one comes in different sizes, so you can choose the one that best fits your dog.
It also comes in different colors. The reinforced edges between the top and the sides can make it harder for your dog to find a seam to chew.
Unfortunately, the bed can be lumpy, and it sometimes has a bad smell.
Where to buy
Milliard Premium Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed
- COMFORT - The Milliard 4" Dog Bed offers the perfect combination of support and luxe comfort by combining a sturdy foam base with a luxe memory foam layer.
- QUALITY - Made from durable materials and superior workmanship for a longer lasting bed.
- CONVENIENCE - The washable cover zips off and goes in the wahsing machine for easy care.
The Milliard Premium Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed is a four-inch-thick mattress with a supportive base and a memory foam inner layer. It combines durable materials and excellent workmanship to help extend the life of the bed.
You can remove the cover and throw it in the wash to clean it. And on the bottom of the cover, there are non-slip grips that keep it from moving around.
It features Certi-PUR foam, so you can be sure it doesn't contain any harsh chemicals. Like the other beds, this one comes in multiple sizes.
Unfortunately, it's not waterproof, and it can develop mold and mildew. It's also only available in one color.
Where to buy
Hero Dog Multi-function Soft Fleece Crate Dog Bed
- Dog bed medium is slip resistance & durable,the othopedic crate bed comes with durable plush fleece, not easy to broken but not for scratching or bitting,shed (pill) resistant,is low maintenance and long lasting
- Soft 35 inch crate pad for small to large dogs,especially for older or disabled pets,support joints and soothes pressure points for deeper, 3cm cotton inside to make the mattress thick enough for better sleep
- Dog crate mat is anti-slip,non-skid bottom prevents moving and shifting and works great on hardwood floors,will keep your dog safe when nap on the mat,super soft surface will offer a better relax
Our last pick goes to the Hero Dog Multi-function Soft Fleece Crate Dog Bed. While many of the best dog beds for chewers are elevated or thick mattresses, this mat is also great.
It's especially useful in a crate or when you just don't have space for a thicker bed.
This mat is slip-resistant and durable. It uses heavy-duty, plush fleece, so it won't break easily.
The soft pad is perfect for dogs of all sizes. You can also put it in the wash, and it won't lose its shape.
Based on the size, at least one of the options can support dogs up to about 88 pounds. It also comes in different colors.
Unfortunately, it may not be as chew-proof as Hero Dog claims. It's also not a good choice for puppies.
Where to buy
Bark to Bed
If you want to get your dog a bed, it needs to withstand anything they do to it. That's why the best dog beds for chewers have a little something that other beds don't.
These beds are more durable, but they're just as comfortable as any other dog bed. We think our list includes many of the best dog beds for chewers.
So, if your dog just chewed through their fifth bed this month, give one of our picks a try!
Does your dog chew through dog beds? What have you done to prevent it? Let us know in the comments!
Featured image by Pixabay