In my house, the dog runs the place. His name is Goon, and Goon gets what Goon wants. He's incredibly spoiled and probably could've benefited from the best dog crate when he was a puppy.
If you're smarter than we were, you probably either have or want to get a dog crate. Not just any dog crate will do for man's best friend, though. You should only want the best dog crate for your pup; they need to like it to stay in it.
When You Need the Best Dog Crate
Dog crates come in handy in a lot of situations. When you go out to go for a jog or to get groceries, a dog crate would be helpful. It'll allow you to put your pup in a secure place where it can't chew anything, hurt itself, possibly have unwanted accidents or mark territory in your home.
A lot of people who use dog crates use them for nighttime. Not everybody likes to have their dogs on the bed, which is totally okay, so the crate becomes that. The best dog crate can be a safe space for your pup and assist in training, if you use it responsibly.
Are Dog Crates Good for Dogs?
Horror stories on just about any topic are rampant in today's world. Whether you're caring for a dog or a bearded dragon, there is going to be at least one person that doesn't agree. To at least one person, you're slowly killing your animal in the worst way possible, even if that isn't true.
If you don't use the crate in a negative way, there is no reason why dog crates can't be good. If you use them as a form of punishment along with a way to contain your dog, then it could be a problem. A point might come when the dog thinks it's being punished.
The best dog crate, with a comfy bed and some toys, can be a dog's safe space. Just like people, dogs can get overwhelmed, so having a space to go and decompress is good. If you travel, bringing the crate might ease the troubled pup by making the dog feel more at home.
What Makes the Best Dog Crate?
The dog crate you choose is important, of course. The best dog crate will vary depending on the size of your dog.
You may want to add a crate bed so that the puppy isn't just stuck laying on the cold hard metal. However, keep in mind that some dogs, especially puppies, will destroy a bed if you put one in. And the stuffing and small pieces they chew off could be a choking hazard.
Hard Crates vs. Soft Crates
There is some debate over whether hard crates or soft crates are better for dogs. However, it really just varies depending on the situation. There is not one that's specifically worse than the other for the dog, especially if you use good accessories.
Soft crates are typically collapsible, which means they're better for travel. They'll pack down easier to save space, or you can leave them up for storage. Just because they're not metal doesn't mean they're automatically better for dogs, though.
How We Chose
The Best Dog Crate: Our Top 8
After a lot of careful consideration, the options for the best dog crate became pretty clear. All of the products mentioned below are like the pride and joy of pet containment
1. MidWest Homes for Pets Dog Crate
- ICrate the 'All Inclusive Dog Crate' Includes Free divider panel, durable dog tray, carrying handle, 4 'roller' Feet to protect floors & Midwest quality Guarantee 1 year Warranty
- Large DOUBLE DOOR FOLDING DOG CRATE ideal for Dogs w/ adult weight of 71 to 90 pounds, Convenient divider panel allows crate to Expand as Your dog grows, Mesh 1.5 x 7 7/8 Inch; Crate Size 42 Length x 28 Width x 30 Height Inch
- Your DOG'S Home WHILE YOU'RE AWAY FROM Home: Durable Design creates a safe place for Your pet while you're away & caters to Your dog's natural "den" instincts
The MidWest Homes for Pets Dog Crate is a popular option when it comes to the best dog crate. The crate is made of super sturdy metal. It'll be teeth proof even for those puppies that could chew a hole to China.
The MidWest Homes for Pets option also comes with a divider. Though they already have a very impressive size range, the crates come with a divider that will allow you to expand the crate as the dog grows. The crate is also fully collapsible, making it easy to transport.
It does not come with any kind of padding, though, so you might want to look into purchasing some padding for those paws to rest.
Where to buy
2. New World Folding Metal Dog Crate
- Single door folding metal dog crate. New World dog crate measures 42L x 28W x 30H inches and is suitable for large dog breeds between 71 - 90 pounds
- Folding metal dog crate includes a leak-proof plastic pan & a 1-year Manufacturer's Warranty
- Two heavy duty slide-bolt latches (per door) securely lock dog crate door in place keeping your dog safely inside their pet home
New World's Folding Metal Dog Crate is not to be forgotten in the race for best dog crate. It has all of the best features: metal sides, collapsibility, and an option between single and double doors. Though that doesn't really matter, it's always nice to have choices.
The size range for New World's crates isn't as extensive as it is with other brands. However, they do have at least one size for dogs in every size range, so you might be able to find the perfect size for your pooch.
Where to buy
3. Precision Pet 2 Door Great Crate
- Reliable Sturdy Wire Kennel: This dog crate for medium dogs has a 5-point precision lock system & 2 doors on either side for maximum security & access. Rounded corners ensure the portable kennel is snag-free.
- Kennels & Houses: Crate & kennel training is vital for dog safety & comfort. We provide traditional travel carriers, wire training & exercise kennels, play pens, barn-style dog houses & more.
- Precision Pet: Precision Pet offers a variety of heavy-duty products such as wire crates, chicken coops & rabbit hutches that provide pets with a cozy & safe place to rest, nest & feed. Also features litter box accessories & more.
Precision Pet's 2 Door Great Crate is pretty great. They have a decent range of sizes, and it has the same metal structure as most of the others. That, coupled with a secure lock on each door, makes it impossible for even the most talented escape artists.
The crate has two doors, but not in the way that you're thinking. The doors are on opposite ends of the crate so that the dog can have more than one way to enter. If you're coming from one direction with a puppy, having to direct them to the entrance can be confusing. Not if there are two doors!
Where to buy
4. 2PET Foldable Dog Crate
- ALL-IN-ONE FOLDABLE DOG CRATE - If you're looking to buy a foldable dog crate that combines all the functionality with a touch of class & innovation, 2PET Fold-A-Crate is the perfect choice - All-in-One dog crate for indoor, outdoor, training & travel purposes - Refer to the size chart for size details
- STRONG STEEL TUBE DESIGN - Unlike many other flimsy & makeshift dog crates out there, Fold-A-Crate uses a strong yet lightweight steel tube design that can be folded/unfolded in a jiffy - Includes a top handle to convert it into a fully-functional pet carrier
- WASHABLE SOFT FABRIC COVER - The steel frame is covered with a water resistant, soft Oxford 600D fabric cover (a nylon variant) that is fully removable & machine washable - The new & improved design includes full frontal zipper that dogs can't easily chew to bits
2PET's Folding Metal Dog Crate is a soft crate, unlike some of the others. However, it still has a durable steel frame that will keep it up even when your puppy tries to tear it down.
The cover of the crate is machine washable, so if your pup is prone to accidents, it's no big deal. That makes it great for outside use as well as traveling; you don't have to worry about it getting dirty.
However, since it does have a fabric cover, it is possible for your pup to chew their way through it. That won't be a problem for some dogs, but if you know you have a chewer, you might go for something else.
Where to buy
5. AmazonBasics Folding Metal Dog Crate
- Dog crate with single-door design for front entry
- Two slide-bolt door latches for increased safety and security
- Sturdy metal construction; folds flat for easy storage/portability
AmazonBasics' Folding Metal Dog Crate maybe Amazon's inhouse brand, but that's no reason to put it in the doghouse.
The crate folds out into a neat, flat pile, making it easy to take with you whether on a vacation or just overnight. Having your puppy's crate with them in a new place will help them feel better and behave, and Amazon makes it easy.
The size range is pretty impressive, so you'll be able to find something for almost every dog you could think of. In addition, they have the option for you to get single or double doors, just like some leading crate options.
Where to buy
6. AmazonBasics Premium Portable Soft Pet Crate
- Soft-sided carrier crate for pets that collapses down easily for storage
- Made with durable polyester and PVC material
- Well-ventilated with multiple screened panels for your pet to look out of
AmazonBasics didn't just stop at a folding metal crate, though. They also have the Premium Portable Soft Pet Crate, so you'll have a choice between the two. Even though the title says "portable," the crate can be used both full-time in your home and on the go.
The cover is machine washable, and it comes in multiple different colors. In addition, the crate comes with side pockets for storage and a carrying strap for transportation.
This crate is the only one that comes with a pet bed, so you won't need to purchase one separately. It really has everything a pet could need. However, it is cloth, so be careful with those chew-happy pups.
Where to buy
7. Carlson Pet Products Metal Dog Crate
- DIMENSIONS: 30-inches long by 19-inches wide by 21-inches tall
- SECURE ALL STEEL: Single door design with secure locking system for your pet's safety
- REMOVABLE AND WASHABLE: Includes a black removable and washable pan
Carlson Pet Products makes a metal dog crate, too. It comes in a few different sizes, though the options are definitely lacking compared to other brands. The crate is only available in single door format, so it won't do the trick if double doors are important to you.
Despite that, the crate still has many perks: a durable metal frame, a secure lock, and a sleek black look. It's also portable, so taking your dog with you won't be a hassle. They'll be able to feel safe and secure, which is important for a rambunctious puppy.
Where to buy
8. MidWest iCrate Starter Kit
- ULTIMATE CONVENIENCE & PERFECT STARTER KIT FOR THE NEW DOG OWNER; Everything you need arrives in 1 carton so you can enjoy more time with your new family member
- MEDIUM DOG BREED KIT INCLUDES EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO GET STARTED; 1 fully equipPed 2-door iCrate, 1 dog bed, 1 crate cover & 2 (20 Ounce) pet bowls that affix to the dog crate; Dog crate measures 30L x 19W x 21H inches when assembled
- STARTER KIT ideal for medium dog breeds with adult weight up to 26 - 40 pounds
MidWest has even more options for those that weren't convinced. The Starter Kit includes everything you need: a dog crate, a cover, a bed, and two bowls for food.
To someone who is new to crating dogs, buying the best dog crate and then also buying accessories can prove to be pricey, so having it all-in-one is easy.
The size range is pretty big, but it's not the best. You'll be able to find something for most dogs, but there's no guarantee for really big dogs. If it fits your puppy, though, it's definitely a good option.
Where to buy
Picking the Best Dog Crate Doesn't
Have to be Rough
There are a lot of options for the best dog crate. If you don't know what you're doing, you might fall into the rabbit hole of spending time and money searching. That's time you should spend with your puppy, playing.
Crates are a good thing, but they are not vital. If your pup is waiting a while so you can find the best dog crate for them, it's okay. They'd be happier to wait than to be shoved in a crate that isn't the best dog crate for them.
Though picking a dog crate can seem scary, especially given the stigma around them, it really isn't. If you know what you need and what will be best for your dog, the best dog crate can be your dog's best friend.
Besides you, of course.
What do you think is the best dog crate? Do you use them? Let us know in the comments!
Featured image by Pexels