Are you on the hunt for the best dog food for your Labrador retriever? Are you overwhelmed with all the options on the market, trying to select the best dog food for labs that contains essential nutrients without breaking the bank?
We understand the importance of choosing a dog food that your faithful friend will enjoy eating while still getting the nutrition required. So, we did the research and curated a list of the ten best dog food for labs products that will make your furry friend leap for joy when mealtime rolls around.
Best Dog Food for Labs FAQs
1. What Is the Best Dog Food for Labs?
While all dogs require key nutrients to stay healthy and energized, not all dog food is created equal and different breeds have different dietary needs. The best dog food for labs are products catering specifically to larger breeds. Labs are vulnerable to bloating, allergies, and obesity, so it is imperative to pick the right dog food that will alleviate these issues, keeping them strong and healthy.
The best dog food for labs has medium to high protein quantities as labs are active and need sufficient protein to maintain muscle function and energy levels. Dog food for labs should also have moderate quantities of fat, without tipping the scales too high and pushing your furry friend towards the obesity range.
One final element of the best dog food for labs is that they contain whole grains or are entirely grain-free. Labs are prone to food allergies. Many of these allergies can be to certain types of meat, but some labs are allergic to grains, too.
2. How Often Does My Lab Need to Eat?
Lab puppies should have four small meals throughout the day, eating every 3 hours for optimal digestion. Fully grown labs should have two meals per day rather than one large one. Because they often eat too quickly, one big meal could cause digestive upset and bloat. Stick with a solid breakfast and dinner for your grown lab.
3. What Should I Look for in the Best Dog Food for Labs?
The first key component you need to look for in the best dog food for labs is protein. Your lab needs protein for muscle growth and rejuvenation, bone, tissue, hormone function, and optimal immunity. Protein sources like meat and soy with all 22 essential amino acids are best.
The second thing you need to look for when shopping for the best dog food for labs is good carbs. Your lab needs carbs for energy, so choose good sources from whole grains and plant foods. Your lab should enjoy these in moderation, otherwise, they could translate to fat stores.
Along the same lines, while your lab should consume it in moderation, fat is essential to keep your furry friend running on a full tank. Fat is the key fueling component for labs, enabling them to create essential hormones, enjoy a healthy nervous system, and absorb sufficient vitamins. Both animal and plant fats work.
The best dog food for labs should also be chock full of vitamins and minerals for healthy bones, strong digestion, as well as nerve and muscular activities. You do not want to go overboard on the vitamins and minerals as too much could harm your lab. Dog foods that incorporate moderate quantities of these nutrients are best.
4. Where Can I Buy It?
You can buy the best dog food for labs at your local pet store or online. For your shopping ease, each best dog food for labs we selected includes an accompanying Amazon link where you can purchase the product.
How We Reviewed
We reviewed the following best dog food for labs based on their features, pros, cons, and price. We put each ingredients label through a stringent review process, to ensure that they included adequate amounts of protein, fruits, vegetables, fat, carbs, and essential vitamins and minerals.
We also selected brands catering to a variety of specific needs. So, whether your lab is low on energy or needs to achieve a healthier weight, you have plenty of selections to pick from.
Overall Price Range of the Best Dog Food for Labs
The following best dog food for labs products range in price from around $30 to $63. Specialized products like grain-free dog food might come at a higher price than selections with more standard ingredients.
What We Reviewed
Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food Original Turkey & Chicken
- Grain Free: 100 percent Grain Free, Complete And Balanced Everyday Nutrition For Your Dog
- Protein Focused Nutrition: Naturally Grain Free, Rich With Delicious Premium Proteins Including Turkey And Chicken Combined With Real Vegetables And Essential Vitamins And Minerals
- All Natural: Contains Only Premium, All Natural Ingredients With No Wheat, Corn, Soy, Meat By Products, Or Artificial Colors, Flavors And Preservatives
Our first selection for the best dog food for labs is this grain-free choice from Wellness Core. The ingredients are top-notch while being allergen friendly, so if your lab is sensitive to grains, look no further
With solid protein amounts derived from turkey meal, chicken meal, and deboned turkey, as well as nutrition from vegetables like potatoes and peas, labs with sensitive digestion will love this brand. It contains only 4% crude fiber, so it will satiate your lab without causing digestive upset.
There are also healthy quantities of fat in this dog food, derived from salmon oil and chicken fat. Others fruits and vegetables along with essential vitamins and minerals make this best dog food for labs a worthy contender for your shopping list.
- Where to buy
Turkey meal, deboned turkey, chicken meal, potatoes, dried ground potatoes, peas, chicken fat, carrots, sweet potatoes, broccoli, kale, parsley spinach, blueberries, apples, flaxseed, and vitamins.
Taste Of The Wild Grain Free High Protein Dry Dog Food High Prairie Adult - Venison & Bison
- Discontinued size by manufacturer
- A taste of the wild with ROASTED BISON; REAL MEAT is the #1 ingredient; optimal amino acid profile, protein rich for LEAN, STRONG MUSCLES
- High protein ingredients with added vitamins & minerals; fruits and vegetables as SUPERFOODS for hard-working ANTIOXIDANTS; fatty acid blend for SKIN & COAT
Another grain-free option on our list of the best dog food for labs, this selection features buffalo, chicken meal, and lamb meal as quality sources of protein. This product features 32% crude protein at a minimum in each serving, to help your lab build lean muscle and gain sufficient energy.
The grain-free ingredient list is ideal for labs with sensitive digestion and contains vegetables like peas, potatoes, and sweet potatoes to soothe your furry friend's tummy. The primary fat component in this dog food is canola oil, which will not only fuel your lab but give them a strong coat and skin.
- WHERE TO BUY
Chicken meal, lamb meal, buffalo, potatoes, sweet potatoes, roasted bison, beef, roasted venison, peas, tomatoes, raspberries, and blueberries.
Rachael Ray Nutrish Just 6 Natural Dry Dog Food, Limited Ingredient, Lamb Meal & Rice
- Contains 1 - 28 Pound Bag of Dry Dog Food
- Limited ingredient diet which may help dogs avoid food sensitivities
- Lamb meal is the #1 ingredient
This best dog food for labs selection is a dry food product with key vitamins and minerals to promote health and wellness. Containing sufficient levels of protein from lamb meal derived from New Zealand grass-fed lambs, this dog food is lower in fat and easy on the digestion.
The lamb also offers necessary amino acids and B vitamins. Nutritious grains like ground white rice and brown rice offer healthy carbs and some fiber to boot. This dog food product is free of soy, gluten, wheat, corn, and fillers.
- WHERE TO BUY
Lamb meal, ground rice, brown rice, chicken fat, dried plain beet pulp, and natural pork flavor.
Blue Buffalo Natural Adult Dry Dog Food Salmon
- PACKED WITH REAL SALMON: A recipe made to satisfy your dog's natural love for meat, this high protein dog food features real salmon to help build and maintain lean muscle mass.
- GRAIN FREE DOG FOOD: BLUE Wilderness grain free adult dog food is made with healthy carbohydrates including sweet potatoes and peas to help fuel your adult dog's active lifestyle. Plus, it contains omega 3 & 6 fatty acids to support skin and coat health.
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS: This formula contains BLUE's exclusive LifeSource Bits - a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists to support immune system health, life stage requirements, and a healthy oxidative balance.
This best dog food for labs is grain-free and uses salmon as a rich source of protein. It also incorporates protein essentials like fish and chicken. It contains a moderate level of calories and carbs, along with plenty of fruits and vegetables like cranberries, blueberries, peas, and carrots.
- WHERE TO BUY
Chicken meal, deboned salmon, menhaden fish meal, peas, pea protein, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, egg product, dried tomato pomace, flaxseed, dehydrated alfalfa meal, and dried chicory root.
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Large Breed Dry Dog Food, Chicken and Brown Rice
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo foods always feature real meat as the first ingredient. High-quality protein from real chicken helps your dog build and maintain healthy muscles. Plus they contain wholesome whole grains, garden veggies and fruit.
- LARGE BREED DOG FOOD: Specially formulated for the wellness of adult large breed dogs, BLUE Life Protection Formula Large Breed dry dog food contains glucosamine and chondroitin to help support joint health and overall mobility of bigger dogs.
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS: This formula contains BLUE's exclusive LifeSource Bits - a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists, to support immune system health, life stage requirements, and a healthy oxidative balance.
This best dog food for labs selection has excellent levels of protein in the form of deboned chicken and chicken meal, with 22% crude protein total. The formula is easy to digest, with whole grains like oatmeal, barley, and brown rice.
This dog food has 6% crude fiber in each serving and has impressive healthy fats from the flaxseed oil and chicken fat it contains. These fat sources will give your lab a glossy coat and strong skin. The dog food also features Omega-3 and 6 fatty acids.
- WHERE TO BUY
Chicken meal, deboned chicken, whole ground brown rice, oatmeal, whole ground barley, tomato pomace, whole potatoes, chicken fat, natural chicken flavor, flaxseed, sunflower oil, whole sweet potatoes, whole carrots, cranberries, blueberries, dried parsley, barley grass, alfalfa meal, dried kelp, garlic, turmeric, and rosemary oil.
Nulo Adult Grain Free Dog Food: All Natural Dry Pet Food for Large and Small Breed Dogs
- 100% ALL NATURAL - Feed your furry family right. Nulo Grain-Free dry dog food is made with clean ingredients to help your pup maintain a balanced diet, healthy weight, and robust energy levels
- GRAIN FREE - Nulo doesn't include allergy-triggering grains, corn, wheat gluten, soy, fake additives, colors, or flavors; we even left out egg and chicken proteins, which many dogs don't digest well
- FOR LARGE, SMALL DOGS - Our meat protein-rich, BC30 Probiotic, low-carb, small kibble formula is crafted for every adult breed, ensuring your hound receives nutrients necessary for a long, active life
This best dog food for labs is another quality grain-free option, full of protein and incorporating a probiotic for optimal digestion. The formula has moderate carb levels, so your lab can get the energy required without sabotaging their weight.
This formula is free of any artificial flavorings or colors and is rich with Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids to give your dog's skin and coat extra shine and fortification.
- WHERE TO BUY
Salmon meal, turkey meal, deboned turkey, chicken fat, chickpeas, yellow peas, sweet potato, deboned trout, dried chicory root, pea fiber, dried carrots, dried tomatoes, dried apples, and dried blueberries.
Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Labrador Retriever Adult Dry Dog Food
- Royal Canin Labrador Retriever Adult dry dog food is designed to meet the nutritional needs of purebred Labrador Retrievers 15 months and older
- Exclusive donut-shaped kibble designed specifically to help large breed Labrador Retrievers chew and eat food slowly
- Helps maintain ideal weight with precise calorie and fat content tailored for the Labrador Retriever breed
This best dog food for labs is best for dogs over the age of 15 months, with a rich ingredient profile featuring protein sources like chicken, whole grains like oatmeal and barley, and healthy fats like chicken fat and anchovy oil.
The quality fat components promote a glossy coat and skin without undermining a healthy weight. The healthy fat and protein nutrients also strengthen your lab's joints and bones.
- WHERE TO BUY
Corn gluten meal, chicken meal, chicken fat, chicken, barley, oatmeal, brown rice, natural chicken flavor, and dried beet pulp.
Orijen Large Puppy Formula Dog Food
- ORIJEN Puppy Large dog food delivers a diet rich and varied in fresh, whole animal ingredients from free-run chicken and turkey, wild-caught fish, and cage-free eggs
- With 85% quality animal ingredients, ORIJEN nourishes dogs according to their natural, biological needs
- Using fresh and raw animal ingredients, including meat, organs, cartilage, and bone, ORIJEN is the Biologically Appropriate, grain-free diet that dogs have evolved to eat
This best dog food for labs product features an ingredient profile comprising 85% meat and 15% vegetables. It is free of grains, and keep your faithful friend strong and healthy with foods like antioxidant-rich blueberries, apples, and spinach. Deboned chicken offers 38% crude protein.
Your lab will also enjoy other rich protein sources from ingredients like turkey, herring, red lentils, and green lentils. The formula features 6% crude fiber, which is ideal for labs with sensitive digestion.
- WHERE TO BUY
Dehydrated chicken, boneless fresh chicken, fresh chicken liver, chicken cartilage, fresh chicken heart, fresh boneless turkey, dehydrated turkey, fresh turkey liver, fresh whole herring, dehydrated herring, zander fish, fresh whole eggs, fresh whole salmon, dehydrated salmon, green lentils, red lentils, green peas, carrots, squash, pumpkin, chickpeas, spinach leaves, giant blueberries, and Red Delicious apples.
Only Natural Pet EasyRaw Human Grade Dehydrated Raw Dog Food Formula
- RAW MEAT IS ALWAYS THE FIRST INGREDIENT - Free range turkey offers raw nutrition, including protein, digestive enzymes & amino acids. EasyRaw delivers REAL nutrition with no fillers preservatives artificial colors by-products or additives.
- 100% HUMAN GRADE - Dehydrated fruits & vegetables are gently cooked at 115 to offer easily digested, whole food nutrition, including vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
- HOLISTIC FORMULA - Minimally processed. NON-GMO fruits and vegetables, including low glycemic sweet potatoes and nutrient rich broccoli, carrots and cranberries.
This dehydrated best dog food for labs needs to be combined and mixed with water before serving. The formula is rich with protein sources like turkey and egg, along with plenty of fruits and veggies.
Most of the formula is comprised of raw meat, which provides higher amounts of necessary protein along with essential amino acids and enzymes for digestion. Other ingredients like carrots, broccoli, and cranberries will fuel your lab all day long.
- WHERE TO BUY
Turkey, whole egg, carrots, sweet potato, broccoli, celery, yellow split pea, cranberries, apples, flaxseeds, and almond bran.
Diamond Naturals Dry Food for Adult Dog, Beef and Rice Formula
- Real Beef protein for superior taste and nutrition.
- levels of vitamin E and selenium.
- Omega-6 and omega-3 Fatty acids for skin and coat.
Our final pick as the best dog food for labs uses actual beef protein and is free of wheat, soy, and corn. This makes the formula ideal for labs with sensitive digestion or allergenic tendencies. Plus, the food comes in a large package, so you will get the most out of your purchase.
- WHERE TO BUY
Beef meal, chicken fat, egg product, rice bran, ground white rice, dried yeast, dried beet pulp, pea flour, pumpkin, kale, dried kelp, carrots, spinach, oranges, blueberries, coconut, papaya, and flaxseed.
All the dog food featured on our list will please your furry friend's taste buds, and offer them plenty of energy with rich protein, fat, and vitamin sources. The best one for your lab depends on your pet's nutrition needs and preferences. If the price is your main concern, we would suggest starting with Taste Of The Wild's grain-free mix, High Prairie's venison and bison formula, or Rachael Ray Nutrish Just 6.
Featured image by:pixabay