Imagine you’re on a walk with your dog, and you see someone else walking their dog. As soon as your dog sees them, they start to pull. When you get home, you decide to switch to using the best dog leash for pulling.
There are some great leashes for that. You just have to know where to look.
Who’s Walking Who?
image by pixabay
Whether you’re on a walk with your dog or taking them to the vet, there are times when you need to use a leash. However, dogs are still dogs, so they may want to pull. Be it a rogue squirrel or another person; your dog may want to run after the distraction.
If your dog likes to pull regularly, then you should switch to the best dog leash for pulling. A leash for pulling can save your sanity and your hand.
While retraining your dog not to pull is the best long-term option, the best dog leash for pulling is an excellent option for more immediate relief. That way, you and Fido can take your sweet time with some training.
What is a leash?
When taking your dog out of the house, carrying them or holding them by the collar isn’t always practical. A leash allows your dog to have a bit of freedom, but it will enable you to keep your dog close by.
On one end, you have the handle, which you can use to hold the dog. And on the other end, there’s a clip that can connect to your dog’s collar.
Since many public areas require dogs to be on leashes, you need a leash if you want to take your dog out of the house.
Leashes come in a variety of materials, from leather to fabric to rope. But if your dog’s a puller, you’ll need the best dog leash for pulling.
Why do some dogs pull?
Have you heard the phrase, “there are no bad dogs, only bad owners?” Well, that can apply to dogs that pull while on a leash. If you haven’t taught your dog not to pull, you can’t blame them if they think it’s okay.
Of course, something might trigger your dog to pull. It could be a small animal running nearby or maybe even another dog. Your dog might also want to pull if they see a car drive by.
And if your dog smells an interesting scent, they might want to follow the trail, therefore pulling on the leash.
Why does the leash matter?
Since leashes come in tons of materials, there can be many differences. For example, some leather leashes might be more comfortable for your hand compared to a rope.
Regardless of the material, you want to have a good grip on the leash. If your dog pulls slightly too hard, you don’t want the leash to fly out of your hand.
While retractable leashes might seem convenient, a retractable leash is far from the best dog leash for pulling. The thin cord can wrap around your fingers, and if your dog pulls really hard, you could lose a finger.
That’s probably a rare occurrence. However, when your dog pulls, you want the most control you can have, and that means having a sturdy leash with the length that you want.
How do you choose the right leash?
One of the most important things to consider when choosing the best dog leash for pulling or otherwise is your dog’s size. If you have a small chihuahua, your leash should be long enough to reach between your hand and their collar.
But it shouldn’t be too long, either.
You might be able to use a shorter leash with a bigger dog, but you should also have some room to let your dog wander slightly ahead when they’re being good.
Of course, your budget will probably also come into play. But don’t be afraid to splurge on a good quality leash; you don’t want to have to buy a new one in a few months.
Now, even the best dog leash for pulling probably won’t stop your dog from pulling. If you want your dog to make a more permanent change, you’ll need to teach your dog not to pull.
Where can you buy the best dog leash for pulling?
You can find the best dog leash for pulling at a number of stores. A good place to start is online since the selection will be more vast.
If you want to feel the leash before you buy, you can also go to a local pet store to check out how each leash works.
Own the Leash
Image via unsplash
Finding the best dog leash for pulling can be a task. You need a leash that’s comfortable for you to hold, with a good grip, and one that won’t hurt your dog.
To find the best dog leash for pulling, we took to the internet. We found some of the best selling options on Amazon. Some of the leashes we found are specifically for pulling.
However, others have some nice features that could help if your dog likes to pull.
We considered customer reviews as well as an independent review of each leash. From there, we were able to share a few options that might be the best dog leash for pulling.
The Best Dog Leash for Pulling
Image via unsplash
While there’s no single best dog leash for pulling, there are a few good leashes out there. The best one for you and your dog depends on your dog’s size, among other factors.
Of course, you may also want to consider how much money to spend. And if you have sensitive skin, you should choose a leash that won’t irritate your hands.
Product Comparison Table
PetSafe Gentle Leader Headcollar
- VET RECOMMENDED AND TRAINER DESIGNED: This headcollar instinctively redirects your dog’s tendency to pull by placing gentle pressure on pain-free points and eliminating pressure on his throat
- TEACHES BETTER LEASH MANNERS: Gently and safely helps you control unwanted leash behaviors like pulling, lunging and jumping for even the most determined pullers
- NO MORE COUGHING AND CHOKING: A padded neoprene nose loop puts pressure on the back of the neck instead of your dog’s throat, which prevents choking and gagging
The PetSafe Gentle Leader Hewadcollar is an excellent option for dogs of all sizes. This leash comes in three sizes for small, medium, and large dogs.
One of the benefits to a headcollar is that your dog can’t pull as much if you have control over your dog’s head. Now, you do need to be careful when training this way since head collars can cause injury.
However, if you can get your dog to wear a headcollar comfortably, it can be the best dog leash for pulling.
The PetSafe head collar provides immediate, gentle control, which can stop pulling and lunging. It has neoprene padding to make it more comfortable for your dog.
You also get a matching leash, instructions, and a training DVD.
Multiple Amazon customers say the collar is super helpful. However, one mentioned the design could be better.
The review analyzer Fakespot gives the company an average rating.
Where to buy
- 2 HANDLES; the Primal Pet Gear dog leash dual handled with Black Padded Handles has been specifically designed with 2 handles, one at the end of the leash at 6ft and another 1ft from the clip. Keep your beloved 4-legged companion safe at all times!
- GREAT CONTROL; use the long leash for casual walks, extended sniffing and loose leash walking; use the shorter leash for busy sidewalks, bike paths and crowded areas that require that you have instant, up-close control of your dog. Control Dominance and Aggression.
- NEW STRONGER CLIP; we have upgraded with a Thicker Thumb release knob that won't break easily.
Primal Pet Gear’s Dog Leash is a more traditional option for anyone who doesn’t want to use a headcollar. This leash clips to your dog’s regular collar, and it has two separate handles for you to use.
The first handle is at the end, like any other leash. However, the second handle is about halfway down. Both handles have nice padding, so you can choose the right handle based on how long you want the leash to be.
The leash is good quality, and it’s great for medium and large dogs. Some customers say it’s great for extreme pullers. However, some say the leash breaks relatively easily.
According to Fakespot, the company is above average.
Where to buy
- Pulling dog leash no more leashburn! Our padded handle training leash won't dig into your hands, so you can maintain a firm grip even when your dog starts to pull hard.
- Patented design gives confidence - Dual handle dog leash features non-bending traffic handle 18 inches from the clip and a padded handle at the end; hold both for control or grab the end to give more freedom.
- Maximum control and confidence not too long, not too short. Our customers agree - This is the best dog leash for large dogs. Purposefully designed at 5 feet in length by 1 inch wide with handle at 18 inches.
The Leashboss Original is an excellent leash with a similar concept to the previous one. This leash connects to your dog’s collar and has two different handles with padding. It’s a durable nylon leash, and the handles have a bit more form than some other leashes. That can give you more control when your dog starts to pull.
Customers said the leash is perfect for large dogs. Unfortunately, the leash can break.
Fakespot gives Leashboss an above-average rating.
Where to buyShop now at Amazon.com
URPOWER Dog Leash
- HEAVY-DUTY CONSTRUCTION - Constructed out of two thick layers of blue jeans & red nylon for durability and longevity, providing comfortable control to your pet. The orange nylon stitching adds to the strength of the design.
- PERFECTLY SIZED - Harness comes with heavy duty hardware, the clasp that holds the leash to the harness fastens securely, metal is highly resistant to wear and rust, 2 adjustable straps can be adjusted to fit dogs. But please measure chest girth of your dog before ordering.
- REDUCES CHAFING - Soft texture with no hard edges or buckles to irritate skin or back of leg. Does not wrap into sensitive armpit area where most chafing occurs. Also it will reduce tugging and pulling on your pet's neck and make your pet walks comfortable.
The URPOWER Dog Leash is actually a harness, which is great if you have a strong dog who likes to pull. This harness combines denim and nylon to give you something with some durability.
It comes in three sizes for small, medium, and large dogs. However, you can also adjust the straps for a more secure fit.
This harness won’t cause chaffing, but it can reduce pulling and tugging.
One customer said the leash is strong and sturdy. However, another reviewer said their dog got loose from the harness.
Fakespot gives the company an average rating.
Where to buyShop now at Amazon.com
SparklyPets Heavy Duty Rope Leash
- ★ Anti-pulling resistant leash – Braided with tough nylon, SparklyPets Rope Leash is made for dogs who easily wear through regular leashes
- ★ For strong dogs – Featuring a thick rope, metallic hook, leather joints, and elastic bungee, rope leash is perfect for stronger dogs
- ★ Shock absorbing bungee – When you buy your big dog leash today, you will also receive an elastic bungee to offset the pulling
The SparklyPets Heavy Duty Rope Leash looks like almost any other leash, but it has a bungee-like rope. This rope is thick and has a metallic hook and leather joints.
It’s a great leash for strong dogs since the bungee can help with pulling. This leash is also nice if your dog likes to chew on leashes.
One customer said the leash saves them from the pain of walking large dogs that pull. However, there was also a complaint that the leash developed a hole that wasn’t from a dog chewing on it.
Fakespot gives SparklyPets an above-average rating.
Where to buyShop now at Amazon.com
PetLoversClub Heavy Duty Dog Leash
- PREFERRED DESIGN OF LEADING PROFESSIONALS - A 6 foot leash with a simple design is preferred by top trainers and veterinarians and is optimal for most breeds and sizes. The Dutchy Brand design provides maximum control and versatility for pleasant, stress free walks so pet parents of all shapes, sizes and experience level can easily maintain control animals of all types and sizes.
- SIMPLE DESIGN WITH MODERN UPGRADES - The Dutchy Brand will not tangle thanks to the heavy duty 360° swivel quick connect snap clip. Easily access handy tools, keys or poop bags with the new accessory ring located at the base of the handle. Padded handle insert ensures a comfortable confident and sure grip.
- STRONG. TOUGH. LIFETIME DURABILITY - Dutchy Brand leashes designed and built to last, period. Leashes are constructed from high strength nylon - both soft to the touch while extremely tough. All products are weather, water, stain and chew resistant.
The Heavy Duty Dog Leash form PetLoversClub isn’t as fancy as some of the other ones on our list. However, it does have some great features, like a comfortable handle. It’s long enough so that your dog can sniff and move around, but you can still have control over where they go. You can clip the leash to your dog’s regular collar.
One customer said the leash gives them control over their dogs, not the other way around. However, it’s not great for dogs who like to chew. The company has an average rating on Fakespot, but the reviews are trustworthy.
Where to buyShop now at Amazon.com
You Can Teach an Old Dog New Tricks
Whether you have a new puppy or you’ve had your dog for years, you can correct their pulling habits. To do so, you need the best dog leash for pulling and some patience.
Dogs pull for many reasons, but if you train them correctly, you can change their habits. Instead of them running to another dog, you can train them to look at you or focus on something else.
Because while the best dog leash for pulling is useful, nothing beats good obedience training.
What do you think is the best dog leash for pulling? Comment below!
Last update on 2021-04-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API