Dogs have all the same skin and scalp issues that humans do and more. Not only does their hair cover their entire bodies, but they deal with many more pests. That’s why we need to find the best dog shampoo for dry skin.
Many different underlying issues can cause dry skin. Some dogs only need a single flea to break out in a terrible rash. Then they start scratching and biting, which can lead to skin infections of all kinds.
My dog is currently dealing with fleas, and I have been trying my best to find natural ways to get rid of them. So far, I haven’t been having much luck, but I don’t want to go back to topical treatments because my dog is sensitive to them too.
That’s why it’s so vital for me, and many other pet parents, to find the best dog shampoo for dry skin. Even if they don’t have any significant problems, it will keep their skin healthy and moisturized to prevent possible issues in the future. There are many options that will help relieve underlying skin problems that lead to dry skin and irritation.
In the end, every dog is different. Dogs can have various sensitivities, but dry skin is one thing that many of them have in common.
The reason for dry skin can vary from pooch to pooch. One of the best things you can do as a pet owner is to find the best dog shampoo for dry skin that works for your dog.
What Causes a Dog’s Dry Skin?
There are so many reasons that a dog can have dry skin. It can come from dehydration, insect bites, allergies, skin infections, nutritional issues, and more. Unfortunately, the list is endless.
That can make narrowing down the problem extremely challenging.
If your dog is having severe issues, you should take them to the vet to get checked out. That will be the easiest way to narrow down your problems.
In many cases, animals can have an allergic reaction to flea saliva. As a result, they typically get skin infections because they’re scratching their skin raw.
I have a cousin who once told me that they had an indoor cat that was tearing their hair out constantly. They had scabs all over their back and looked like a mess.
Her dad told them that the cat had must have mange and gave the cat to a humane society. I’ve had cats with the same issues and could, fortunately, afford to take them to the vet. Every single time, they were diagnosed with flea allergy dermatitis, which is an allergy to flea saliva.
It’s quite common, and even though it isn’t always the case, there is the possibility that their cat had the same problem.
My dog has the same allergy, which can make it challenging to keep him happy and comfortable. One flea bite can send him into an itching frenzy. In his case, finding the best dog shampoo for dry skin is a fantastic way to help soothe the problem and relieve his dandruff.
You still need to get treatment for fleas, ticks, and skin infections of any kind, if you think that is a contributing factor. However, using a shampoo that will ease the dry and itchy skin is going to be a huge help.
How we reviewed the best dog
shampoo for dry skin
We understand how important it is to you to find the best dog shampoo for dry skin. When your best friend has problems, it can affect their health and how comfortable they are on a daily basis.
With that in mind, we wanted to give you the best possible information and products available. We narrowed down our list based on a variety of needs, ingredients, and overall customer reviews.
Many of these products are all-natural, hypoallergenic, and moisturizing. All of those features are important for many pups who are prone to dry skin, itching, and eczema.
If your pup is allergic to fleas or tends to be anxious, they can be very susceptible to skin infections, due to excessive scratching. Medicated and soothing dog shampoo will be a huge help in those cases.
We also wanted you to know that customer reviews were a huge part of our research. We believe that when it comes to your dog, you should have choices that come highly recommended by real people.
After all, you want to know that you’re getting a genuine opinion, rather than another marketing scheme.
The Best Dog Shampoo for Dry Skin
Narrowing down the best products for your family, including those fur babies, is always a challenge. You want to take good care of them and give them the help they need.
We completely understand, and that’s why we’re here to help you find the best dog shampoo for dry skin.
What’s more, we know that these products aren’t one-size-fits-all. We worked to compile an extensive list, to give you a good selection.
There’s always the possibility that you’re going to need to try a few out to see what works best for your dog.
Product Comparison Table
1. Veterinary Formula Clinical Care
- GENTLE HEALING – Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic and Antiseborrheic Medicated Shampoo for Dogs contains coal tar, salicylic acid & micronized sulfur to help treat skin scaling caused by seborrhea and relieve mange and parasitic infections
- FAST ACTING – This medicated dog shampoo works fast to relieve symptoms including inflamed scalp, greasy or waxy skin, red skin rashes, bald spots, itch, and flaky skin associated with seborrhea, mange, parasitic, and infections
- VETERINARY RECOMMENDED – This paraben, dye & soap free pet shampoo will not remove topical spot-on flea & tick treatments and helps safely treat fungal and bacterial skin infections, skin scaling caused by seborrhea and parasitic infections
If you’re on the hunt for the best dog shampoo for dry skin that covers all its bases, we have a great option. Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Medicated Shampoo is made to treat all your puppy's ailments.
This shampoo balances the pH levels in their skin, relieves rashes, inflammation, and prevents skin infections. It will also help heal existing issues so they can finally get back to normal. That’s what you need. You need to soothe your dogs dry, itchy skin and help them get rid of all that pain and irritation.
Overall, this is a fantastic choice if you have a dog that is prone to fungal or bacterial skin infections. Moreover, it’s soap and paraben-free, which makes it gentle enough for most dogs.
However, you should keep in mind that it isn’t listed as a hypoallergenic option. So if your dog has dry skin, but is extremely sensitive, this might not be the right option.
Where to buy
2. Bodhi Dog Oatmeal and Baking Soda Shampoo
No products found.
Bodhi Dog Oatmeal and Baking Soda Shampoo is another excellent option. It’s an all-natural anti-itch shampoo, which is extremely important for most dogs.
Not only will it relieve their discomfort, but it will help moisturize their skin to prevent future outbreaks. If your dog is suffering from itchy patches, bug bites, or allergy damaged skin, they need something soothing. All the itching will cause uncomfortable inflammation, which will only make things much worse.
The Bodhi Dog shampoo has a botanical base, and it’s excellent for animals with sensitive skin. It’s moisturizing and cooling, which is going to be a huge help.
If your dog is itching up a storm, this is a fantastic choice, and regular use is going to be a huge help. Additionally, the best dog shampoo for dry skin is preferably all-natural. But in the end, you only need to find one that works wonders for your pup.
If you find something that isn’t entirely natural but works better, you don’t need to feel bad. You only need to find what works best for your dog.
Where to buy
No products found.
3. Mighty Petz 2-in-1 Oatmeal Dog Shampoo
- Relieve Itching & Moisturize Sensitive Dry Skin - For pooches with sensitive, itchy or allergy-prone skin, baths can often cause further irritation and turn into a painful occurrence every pet parent would like to avoid. Make baths a pleasant experience for you and your dog! Leaving their coat and skin clean, fresh and moisturized and knowing your friend gets a wash with all-natural ingredients and conditioner - 100% gentle for their skin.
- Balanced pH + Only Natural Ingredients & Colors + Cruelty Free + Biodegradable - Rest assured that your furry friend uses a shampoo with pH balanced specifically for them that contains absolutely no harsh chemicals, so you don’t have to worry about their skin getting too dry or worse triggering an allergic reaction. With soft, shiny & easy to comb out fur that’s subtly lavender scented, you’ll feel & smell the difference and want to cuddle your fur baby forever!
- All Natural Shampoo + Conditioner with Soothing Oatmeal and Aloe Vera - We use nothing but 100% purely natural ingredients. What is worth a health product riddled with chemicals? Treat your best friend with a relaxing bath using Oatmeal and Aloe Vera, as well as a calming Lavender Fragrance that will make your fur baby smell wonderful without irritating or burning their skin. It’s certainly an improvement from eau de ‘wet dog’.
It might not be typical for everyone to look for a conditioning dog shampoo, but it’s not a bad idea. The Mighty Petz 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner relieves itchiness and moisturizes dry skin.
It’s a fantastic choice for dogs with sensitive skin, and it will make their fur feel softer than ever. Moreover, it only contains seven ingredients, and it’s certified organic.
That’s a beautiful thing, considering how many shampoos are packed full of ingredients that most of us can’t even pronounce. It’s a relief to finally know exactly what’s going into the products we’re using on our pets.
Consequently, if you’re looking for the best dog shampoo for dry skin that is entirely natural and straightforward, this is it. However, you should keep in mind that it isn’t going to help much when you’re trying to treat other issues.
In other words, if your dog suffers from skin infections, this may not be your first choice.
Where to buy
4. Pro Pet Works All Natural Oatmeal Dog
Shampoo and Conditioner
- ✔️PRO PET WORKS PERFECT BLEND" Aloe Vera Gel ✔️Almond Oil ✔️Oatmeal ✔️Vitamins A, D & E ✔️Beta Carotene CaFormulated for sensitive, itchy, dry skin ✔️Helps eliminate wet dog smell ✔️De-tangles for easy brushing ✔️Safe for daily use ✔️Paraben, cruelty free, sulfate free, soap free ✔️No alcohol or animal by products ✔️Made in USA Our revolutionary pet wash was specially formulated with CATS and DOGS with sensitive skin and coats in mind, providing relief from hot spots and itching. VET ENDORSED
- ✔️IS ALOE VERA GEL SAFE FOR DOGS & CATS? If you break an Aloe Vera leaf open you notice two things: the center clear/greenish goo (this is what the gel is made from) and, around the edges, a white sap (this is the latex the plant produces). The gel is not toxic, but the latex can cause problems for your dog or cat. Our Shampoo only uses Aloe Vera Gel which has 20 of the 22 amino acids that a pet needs that usually only comes from food they eat.
- ✔️BEST GROOMING FORMULATION FOR ALL BREEDS: Golden Retriever, Siberian Husky, German Shepherd, Labrador, Dachshund, Pomeranian, Poodle, Chihuahua, Beagle, etc. Works well for Long hair and short hair dogs due to the formulation that preserves your pets natural oil production. Helps to DE-SHED loose hair that is unhealthy to make room for a better coat. Continuous brushing will prevent shedding and help develop a strong, healthy coat. Brush daily for optimal results.
Oatmeal dog shampoo is a great option when your pooch is having problems with dry skin. You might notice by the end of this list since it’s a common theme.
Pro Pet Works All-natural shampoo and conditioner is another lovely addition to our selection. It is a hypoallergenic shampoo that doubles up with moisturizing conditioner.
That will leave their coat and skin feeling soft and finally give them the comfort they need. It can ease your dog's irritation and soothe itching that accompanies dry skin at every turn.
The Pro Pet Works shampoo will help heal and protect their inflamed skin, but it isn’t medicated. So it is going to make a huge difference if they’re dealing with dry skin and irritation.
Again, it’s not going to help get rid of skin infections and other underlying issues. But if you’re merely trying to keep them clean and itch-free, this is a fantastic option.
Where to buy
5. Wahl Dry Skin & Itch Relief Pet Shampoo for Dogs
- Made in the USA - Our oatmeal formula pet shampoo is pH balanced, alcohol free, paraben free, PEG-80 free and is highly recommended for moisturizing dry skin & providing itch relief
- Oatmeal Formula – This coconut lime verbena scented pet shampoo is great for moisturizing dry skin, cleaning dirty coats, & itch relief. The thick lather rinses off clean & keeps your pet looking and smelling clean
- Less is More - Wahl has a higher concentrate of coconut derived sodding agent, which means you don’t have to use as much as other dog shampoos. A little bit of shampoo goes a long way and provides a rich lather that’s easy to rinse off
When your dog is suffering from dry skin, you might not notice it right away. You might assume they have fleas or some other issue.
In reality, there’s a chance you only need to find the best dog shampoo for dry skin. After all, dry skin is a condition that is more common than you think. Wahl knew that when they were coming up with their Dry Skin and Itch Relief Pet Shampoo.
The Wahl shampoo is safe for your dog and will help balance the pH levels in their skin. It also moisturizes their skin to help relieve discomfort and keep their fur soft and gorgeous. Moreover, it smells incredible, which is a significant perk for you.
Customers mentioned that a little bit goes a long way, so the bottle should last a long time.
Again, this is not a medicated shampoo. It will do wonders treating their dry skin and soothing any inflammation. However, it is not going to help with skin infections or pest problems.
You will still need to make sure to use standard medication for fleas, ticks, and heartworms with all of these shampoos.
Where to buy
6. Pet Pleasant Colloidal Oatmeal Dog Shampoo
- Dog Oatmeal Shampoo - Try one of the best dog shampoo formulas handcrafted to cleanse and moisturize dry skin and fur for a pet shampoo for dogs that’s a dog grooming supplies and pet bath staple
- Deodorizing Dog Shampoo - You can trust our dog body wash and oatmeal shampoo for dogs for a pet deodorizer that removes dirt and odors thanks to potent lavender oil for dogs in our dog odor shampoo
- Big and Small - Whether looking for the best puppy shampoo for small dogs or a gentle dog cleaner for older dogs we got you covered with our versatile oatmeal lavender dog shampoo for all dogs
If your dog stinks, you’re going to need a bit of extra help. That’s usually when most of us even think of giving them a bath in the first place. When your hands smell bad when you give them well-deserved scratches, it’s been far too long since their last bath. Still, some dogs can be smellier than others and may need a little extra help. In that case, you might enjoy the Pet Pleasant Colloidal Oatmeal Dog Shampoo. It smells like lavender and uses high-quality ingredients, so it’s going to help a lot and might even relax them.
It will also help with the itching caused by dry skin. The oatmeal helps soothe inflammation and relieve the discomfort.
Plus, it’s gentle enough to use a few times a week if you think it’s necessary. So every time your dog rolls in something they’re not supposed to, you can whip out this lovely shampoo.
Where to buy
7. Lillian Ruff Dog Oatmeal Shampoo and Conditioner Set
If you find that your dog doesn’t only have dry skin, but also a bit of a dull coat, there is a solution for that. The Lillian Ruff Dog Shampoo is all-natural, therapeutic, and hypoallergenic.
It promotes a healthy coat, smells lovely, and is highly conditioning. It has everything you need to keep your pup’s skin and coat healthy. Your dog will also be much happier when they don’t feel the constant need to itch away at irritated skin.
One of the main reasons your dog can suffer from dry skin and a dull coat is lack of hydration. You can’t force them to drink more, but you can hydrate their skin for them. The Lillian Ruff dog shampoo will accomplish that for you.
To keep their skin and coat looking and feeling good, they will need regular baths. That may mean that you need to use this at least once or twice a week to see a difference.
If you think about how much we need to moisturize, it makes sense. But with a little bit of diligence, they’re going to look and feel happier and healthier than ever before.
Where to buy
8. WashBar Natural Dog Shampoo Bar
When you think of washing your dog, you’re probably used to dumping a dollop of shampoo into your hand. It seems like an easy way to clean them because you can slather it all over them.
Well, you might have second thoughts when you try the WashBar Natural Dog Shampoo. It’s a simple bar of soap that provides all the relief they need from their daily ailments.
It ends up being more comfortable to use because you have more control when you’re bathing your dog. You waste less soap, and you create less waste overall because you won’t go through all those plastic bottles.
In the end, this is an incredibly environmental-friendly option that is perfect for your fur babies. It’s gentle enough to use regularly so that you can keep up with baths every week.
Plus, it will give you as much soothing relief as you would find with any other dog shampoo. It’s arguably the best dog shampoo for dry skin when you have a skittish canine.
It is also suitable for eczema and other sensitive conditions. However, it does not provide the same level of conditioning that you might find in the rest of our selection. But it will provide plenty of itch relief, which is essential when your pup needs help with their dry skin.
Where to buy
Keep Your Best Friend Itch Free and
Happy as Can Be
When it comes to picking the right products for your little buddy, you obviously want the best. I know I do.We completely understand, and that’s why we’re here to help you find the best dog shampoo for dry skin.
We know how important it is to pick products that are healthy and all-natural, whenever possible. We wanted to show you that it is possible to find the best dog shampoo for dry skin. You might have to do a little experimentation to find something that will work properly.
Dogs are similar to people in that way. They’re sensitive, and they have issues with their skin and hair like we do.The only difference is, they can’t take care of those problems by themselves. It’s our job to keep them healthy and comfortable.
That isn’t always an easy thing to accomplish, but there is a wide selection out there. Once you nail down your dog's problems, it will be a little easier to care for them.If you think your dog has skin problems that go deeper than typical dry skin, consult their vet. A professional will always be able to give you better information than you can find online. If you have tried multiple shampoos, they probably need more help, and you need another opinion.
If you have some personal favorites, we would love to hear about it in the comment section below!
Last update on 2021-07-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API