As a dog owner, you should always have the best dog shampoo for odor at home. You never know when your canine friend might wander into the trash can, roll around in poop, or get sprayed by a skunk.
Keeping an eye on your dog at all times isn't an effective way to prevent your dog from smelling bad. It's not unusual for dogs to develop an unnatural odor due to skin problems, which is something that you can't control.
If your dog smells bad and you don't have dog shampoo at hand, you might be tempted to use your own shampoo as a substitute. However, professionals warn pet owners against the use of human shampoos because they contain chemicals that are too harsh for a dog's delicate skin.
If you're going to bathe your smelly dog, be responsible and purchase the best dog shampoo for odor.
Why Does Your Dog Smell Bad?
The most obvious reason as to why your dog has an unpleasant odor is that he is overdue a bath. Short-haired dogs and dogs with loose skin are most likely to get that funky dog smell when they haven't been washed in a while.
If you're not sure whether or not the bad odor is the result of your dog going without a bath for too long, take note of your dog's skin and coat condition. An oily coat and dandruff are good indicators that it's time to break out the hose.
The accumulation of debris on your dog's coat could also explain why your dog smells bad. Dogs love to roll around in moldy grass, other animals' feces and rotten carcasses, so inspect your canine friend's body for waste matter thoroughly.
Don't forget to examine the paws too, as your dog could have accidentally stepped into something stinky.
When you're looking over your dog's body, check for things like irritated and red skin. These often signal that your dog has a skin condition. Many skin conditions can cause your dog to smell off-putting.
Digestive problems, ear infections, glandular conditions, and dental disease can also cause your dog to smell bad, which is why it's crucial that you bring your pet to the vet to make sure that he is in good health. If he isn't, your veterinarian will diagnose the condition and recommend the appropriate treatment, like a medicated bath.
If your dog is healthy and clean, you could just have a very sensitive nose. In this case, your best bet is to remain patient. You'll get used to the way that your dog smells over time. In the meantime, try experimenting with different shampoos.
How to Choose the Best Dog Shampoo for Odor
There are several important factors that you should take into account when looking to buy the best dog shampoo for odor.
Evaluate your dog's skin type and condition
Just like people, dogs have skin types. If your pet suffers from flaky skin, he more than likely has dry skin and therefore needs a mild, moisturizing shampoo.
On the other hand, if you're left with a residue-like sensation after you run your fingers through your dog's coat, your pet has oily skin, which you can treat with a degreasing shampoo.
If neither issue is present, your dog has a normal skin type.
Dogs with chronic skin conditions may need a soothing, medicated shampoo. Always talk to your veterinarian before you start using a medicinal shampoo.
Check the ingredients list
Not all shampoos are created equal. Some could even harm your dog.
To avoid potentially adverse side effects, flip the product around, and read the ingredients list. While most toxic ingredients are found only in shampoos designed to kill fleas (and then only sometimes), some may also end up in ordinary dog products.
In general, you should go for shampoos that are paraben and dye-free. Also, avoid shampoos with the following ingredients (professionals link them to health hazards):
Whenever possible, go for a shampoo with natural ingredients like aloe vera, oatmeal, and herbal proteins.
Make sure it's age-appropriate
If you have a puppy, you should opt for a shampoo specifically designed for younger dogs.
Puppies tend to have sensitive skin, which is why puppy shampoos are designed to be gentler than regular dog shampoos. Puppy shampoos are also typically made with a no-tear formula and therefore don't irritate the eyes.
How We Reviewed the Best Dog Shampoo for Odor
We looked at multiple pet shampoos to find the best dog shampoo for odor.
Customer reviews played an important part in whether or not we chose to include a specific product in the list below. We were careful to pick only the highest rated products.
However, more important than user satisfaction was the ingredients list. We scrutinized the ingredients list of every shampoo to make sure that none contained the above-mentioned ingredients associated with health issues. The more natural the ingredients, the more likely we were to include the shampoo on our list.
We also strove for variety. We know that not all dogs are at the same stage of their life. Some are puppies, whereas others are seniors. Others still might have skin problems. As such, we tried to incorporate as many different shampoos as possible.
Our Top 10 Picks for the Best Dog Shampoo for Odor
Without further ado, here are our top 10 picks for the best dog shampoo for odor!
Nature's Miracle Skin & Coat Supreme Odor Control Dog Shampoo & Conditioner
- Formulated with an odor neutralizer & deodorizer for tough pet coat odors
- Natural cocoa surfactant shampoo cleans & conditions
- OATMEAL FORMULA: The product is formulated with no dyes or parabens and soothes and hydrates the skin.
Nature's Miracle Skin & Coat Supreme Odor Control Dog Shampoo & Conditioner, which smells like honey sage, neutralizes a variety of odors. It also acts as a deodorizer, providing long-term odor control.
This product contains no dyes or parabens. It's soap-free, which means that you can use it with spot-on flea and tick products without having to worry that your pet will have an adverse reaction.
According to the manufacturer, the oatmeal formula hydrates the skin, softens hair follicles, and reduces static electricity. It might even soothe irritated and itchy skin.
Where to buy
Wahl Odor Control Shampoo Concentrate
No products found.
Wahl Odor Control Shampoo Concentrate is an excellent choice for deep-cleaning and deodorizing your pet's fur, regardless of whether he has a long or short coat. This shampoo, which contains spearmint and eucalyptus, is pH balanced and free from alcohol, parabens, and perfumes.
While Wahl claims that this shampoo is suitable for dogs with severe allergies, make sure to keep an eye on your dog after you first use this product if he has skin problems. Some users say that this shampoo works well on their dogs with allergies, but others claim that it's too harsh on the skin.
The company asserts that its highly concentrated formula allows for up to 70% more baths than other brands, meaning that you can save a lot of money in the long run.
Where to buy
No products found.
Particular Paws Oatmeal Shampoo
- NO MORE ITCHING: The natural shampoo that soothes the skin getting rid of itchy skin.
- SMELL GREAT: The shampoo that will leave your pet smelling so fresh and clean.
- SOOTHE SKIN INFECTIONS: Restore normal pH balance of the skin and soothe nasty infections.
Particular Paws Oatmeal Shampoo is suitable for both dogs and cats that suffer from dry skin, irrespective of their age.
This shampoo contains all-natural ingredients such as shea butter, oatmeal extract, aloe vera, and chamomile. These ingredients not only smell amazing but also help restore natural oils, relieve irritation, improve coat texture, and promote healthy skin.
Particular Paws are so sure that you'll love their shampoo that they offer a satisfaction guarantee. If you're not happy with this product, the company will refund your money, no questions asked.
Where to buy
Fresh Wave Odor Removing Dog Shampoo
- CLEANS YOUR DOG’S FUR: Fresh Wave Odor Removing Dog Shampoo gets out all that grease, grime, and who-knows-what-you-rolled-around-in and makes your dog’s coat shiny and soft. Whether you’re washing a puppy or senior-citizen canine, Fresh Wave will leave them clean and fit to be hugged.
- REMOVES BAD SMELLS: This time, go beyond just a simple sudsing. Our odor-removing formula—perfected over 30 years—works at the molecular level to destroy odors. It turns “wet dog” smell into “beautiful dog” smell, and even eliminates skunk odors.
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS: Fresh Wave Odor Removing Dog Shampoo is non-toxic, non-GMO, and non-hazardous. It’s a fresh, natural dog shampoo you can feel good about using on your best friend.
Fresh Wave Odor Removing Dog Shampoo gets rid of grease, grime, and pet odors, including "wet dog smell" and skunk spray.
The company uses natural ingredients only. Plant-based compounds like pine, anise, clove, cedarwood, lime, and lemongrass eliminate odors instead of just masking them with another, stronger scent.
The shampoo is free from harsh chemicals, synthetic fragrances, phthalates, and alcohol. You can use it to bathe both puppies and senior canines.
However, this shampoo is of quite thin consistency. Therefore, a bottle of this shampoo might not last you very long.
Where to buy
Pet Pleasant Lavender Oatmeal Pet Shampoo
- Colloidal oatmeal shampoo for dogs & puppies with sensitive skin. Designed to be hypoallergenic & extremely soothing for your dog’s flaky dry skin using natural ingredients such as jojoba. Our clinical strength shampoo protects & combats skin irritation on your dog's fur.
- Enhanced with Lavender essential oil our formula is extra calming. Lavender has a homeopathic comforting effect making him easier to bathe and control his dog odor.
- Vet recommended clinical formula using pure high quality ingredients for an extra strength cleanse and odor remover. Our ingredients restore essential oils while combating skin irritants. This shampoo is a must for tear free pet care.
Pet Pleasant Lavender Oatmeal Pet Shampoo works well on puppies and dogs with sensitive skin. Since this product is hypoallergenic, it protects your pooch from skin irritations.
This shampoo has no parabens or sulfates. It's also tear-free. The formula contains jojoba, lavender essential oil, and colloidal oatmeal, three ingredients that clean and deodorize your pet.
Jojoba oil also soothes flaky, dry skin, whereas the colloidal oatmeal cleanses and conditions your dog's fur. The lavender creates a comforting effect, which, according to Pet Pleasant, not only makes it easier to bathe your pet but also helps control the unpleasant doggy odor.
If you don't like this product, you can return it. Pet Pleasant offers a 100% money-back guarantee.
Where to buy
Paw Choice Naturals Foaming Mousse Dry Dog Shampoo
- Natural Coconut Derived Formula - Does not contain harsh chemicals, detergents, alcohol, dyes, sulfates, SLS, or parabens. Safe for all dogs, gentle, and good for sensitive skin.
- Can’t Do A Full Bath? You Can Use It Anytime, Anywhere - Perfect for extending the time between baths, active or smelly dogs, traveling, senior pets, between professional grooming, after surgery, those that don't like water or can’t get wet, and more.
- Cleans, Deodorizes, And Conditions - Keeps your dog smelling fresh with no hassle, mess or stress. It’s fast and easy with no water or rinsing needed. And unlike colognes, sprays, and wipes, our waterless shampoo for dogs actually cleans and doesn't just mask the odor with fragrance.
Paw Choice Naturals Foaming Mousse Dry Dog Shampoo is perfect for when you can't do a full bath but need to clean your dog.
This product, which you can use anytime and anywhere, cleans, deodorizes, and conditions your pet with no mess or stress. Simply massage the mousse into your dog's coat and allow it to air dry. There's no need for a rinse or a towel dry.
Since this coconut-based formula, which smells like chamomile and lavender, is free from chemicals, sulfates, alcohol, and parabens, it's suitable for dogs with sensitive skin.
Paw Choice has a 30-day refund policy, so you can always send this shampoo back if it doesn't suit your pet.
Where to buy
Isle of Dogs Tearless Puppy Shampoo
- TEARLESS DOG SHAMPOO: Our Tearless Puppy shampoo is designed to keep a puppy's sensitive skin & coat clean & fresh without irritating their eyes. It's also great for face washing on dogs of any age
- SOOTHING FORMULA: This tearless dog shampoo features our signature cotton and fresh orchid fragrance. It's sulfate and paraben free and contains natural odor neutralizers for a clean, fresh coat!
- CLEAN PUPS: A clean, shiny & fresh coat is a good indicator of a healthy, well-loved pup & a necessity for extended cuddle time. Our shampoos, conditioners & brush sprays are perfectly balanced & help remove odor.
As the name suggests, Isle of Dogs Tearless Puppy Shampoo is best suited for really young dogs. It's supposed to keep your pet's skin and coat clean without hurting his eyes if you use it as a face wash. You can even use this product as a face scrub for dogs of all ages.
The formula contains natural odor neutralizers. It also features Isle of Dog's signature fragrance "Cotton + Fresh Orchid," which is light enough not to be overpowering, but strong enough to linger for at least several days.
Like most other products on this list, the Isle of Dogs Tearless Puppy Shampoo is also free from sulfates and parabens.
Where to buy
Curaseb Chlorhexidine Medicated Shampoo for Dogs & Cats
- ★ ELIMINATES YEAST, BACTERIA, FUNGUS, PYODERMA AND RINGWORM: Chlorhexidine and Ketoconazole Combine to Create a Super Effective Antifungal & Antibacterial Shampoo that Treats a Broad Spectrum of Skin Related Problems In Both Dogs & Cats
- ★ DEODORIZES & GENTLY CLEANSES SKIN: Our Veterinary Recommended Shampoo Will Eliminate the Smelly Musty Odor from Your Pets Skin Caused by Unwelcome Visitors (Yeast, Bacteria, and Fungus) While Leaving Behind a Pleasant and Refreshing Cucumber Melon Scent
- ★ VETERINARY STRENGTH FOR LESS MONEY: Compare Our Active Ingredients To Other Name Brands. Curaseb is the Same If Not Better Quality Than Other Leading Competitors. Why Pay More For a Name?
Curaseb Chlorhexidine Medicated Shampoo for Dogs & Cats is an antifungal and antibacterial shampoo. It contains the active ingredients of chlorhexidine and ketoconazole. As such, it's useful for treating skin-related problems like yeast, pyoderma, and even ringworm.
You don't have to worry about having to put up with an overpowering medicine smell after using this product. This shampoo, free from parabens and soap, not only gets rid of musty odors caused by bacteria and fungus but also leaves behind a lovely cucumber and melon scent that lasts for a long time.
Curaseb claims that while its medicated shampoo is cheaper than other brands, it's just as effective. If you're not happy with the product, you can ask for a refund.
Where to buy
Earthbath All Natural Pet Shampoo
- ADDRESS DRY, ITCHY, AND FLAKY SKIN - Collodial Oatmeal and Organic Aloe Vera help combat skin irritation, promote healing, and re-moisturize sensitive, dry skin
- BRILLIANTLY CLEAN & SOFT - This luxurious shampoo is soap free and pH-balanced to clean and deodorize safely and thoroughly, leaving your pet's coat and skin plush and smelling better than ever before
- SAFETY FIRST - Our Oatmeal & Aloe Shampoo with Vanilla & Almond scent will not wash off topical flea applications and is safe for all animals over 6 weeks
Earthbath All Natural Pet Shampoo is a naturally scented dog shampoo that is free from parabens, phosphates, and soap. The shampoo, which is suitable for both dogs and cats, contains only ingredients that are gentle on your dog's skin as well as biodegradable.
The company has several products in its natural pet shampoo line, so you can choose a different scent if you want to. We decided to go for the Oatmeal and Aloe formula. It's ideal for dry and itchy skin and can be used in conjunction with flea applications.
However, you could opt for Eucalyptus and Peppermint or Mediterranean Magic Rosemary, among other options.
Where to buy
Paws & Pals Shampoo
- THE MOST EFFECTIVE NATURAL PET SHAMPOO FOR YOUR LOYAL COMPANION: Our Pet Wash Shampoo is a premium coat and skin treatment that comes directly to you and your pet without sacrificing vegan and organic principles or quality. Our delicate balance of essential oils forms the foundation of a veterinarian recommended coat care regimen.
- QUALITY SHAMPOO FOR YOUR DOG WITHOUT COMPROMISE: Your dog is a loving member of your family, does he or she not deserve the best when it comes to caring for their coat and skin. At Paws & Pals, we have developed a cleansing shampoo that not only respects the environment as well as nature but ensures that in doing so your pet has the best possible skin care and coat treatment available.
- NOURISHING FORMULA: Our shampoo includes oatmeal, which will help moisturize and soothe itchy skin. It may also help relieve symptoms of allergies, hot spots, dry skin, and will also clean, deodorize, and soften your pet’s coat. Our pet wash cleaner also contains all natural ingredients such as aloe & ingredients which occur organically such as pro-vitamin B5. They assist in hydrating, healing and protecting your pet’s coat and skin.
Paws & Pals Shampoo uses natural oils to clean and moisturize your dog's skin and coat. The formula contains only non-toxic, vegan ingredients, including an array of essential oils.
Aloe, coconut, and jojoba oils relieve pain and itchiness caused by dryness and fleas whereas oatmeal, rosemary, and shea butter leave your dog's coat smooth and odorless.
Since the shampoo is both tearless and soap-free, you don't have to worry about irritating your dog's ears or eyes when bathing him.
Paws & Pals assure its customers that the shampoo has a long-lasting fresh scent, which means that you can bathe your pet less often.
Where to buy
Finding the Best Dog Shampoo for Odor Is Easier than You Think
There's no shortage of dog shampoos designed to deodorize your pet. With so many options out there, finding the best dog shampoo for odor can seem a little daunting. But it doesn't have to be.
The best dog shampoo for odor will leave your dog smelling clean and fresh for days. It will also tackle other problems, like dry skin or fungus, as well.
Whichever product you decide to go for, remember that the more natural the ingredients, the better your dog is likely to feel after his bath.
Do you agree with our top ten picks for the best dog shampoo for odor? And do you have any recommendations? We'd love to hear from you in the comment section down below.
Featured image by: pixabay
Last update on 2021-01-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API