Some of us are all too familiar with the dreaded feeling of coming home and finding our personal belongings completely destroyed by our furry best friend. Figuring out ways to combat aggressive chewing can be challenging, especially if you have to leave your dog alone in the house while you go to work or run errands. Perhaps the best dog toys for aggressive chewers can be a start?
A lot of factors go into whether or not a dog is an aggressive chewer. There are numerous potential causes of destructive chewing, as well as various steps you can take to combat it. The first thing you should do is try to figure out what may be causing your pup’s behavior.
What to Do If Your Dog Is an Aggressive Chewer
Image Source: Pixabay.com
By the time that you have lost a few pairs of your favorite shoes after your dog chewed them up, you are probably wondering how to keep it from happening more in the future. Are the best dog toys for aggressive chewers even going to be of any help?
Regardless of the type of chewer your dog is, chewing is natural for any puppy or dog to do. Once puppies start teething, chewing becomes a part of their development, and will occur for the rest of their lives.
Possible causes of aggressive chewing
So, what are some of the potential causes of aggressive chewing? Or chewing in general? There are more causes than you may think.
Is your dog on a calorie-restrictive diet? That could be the cause of their destructive chewing.
Your dog may begin to try and find additional nutrition sources, which could lead to them chewing and destroying objects. This type of chewing is usually toward food-related objects or at least ones that smell like food.
Image Source: Pixabay.com
Yes, a dog can have separation anxiety. Do you find that your dog is only destroying items when you’re not home, or at least doing it more frequently at those times? If that is the case, then your dog could be suffering from separation anxiety.
Some other signs that your dog may have separation anxiety include:
- Urination and defecation
As we mentioned earlier, puppies will start chewing items when they begin teething. Similarly to humans, puppies go through a stage of losing their “baby” teeth and experience their “adult” teeth coming in, which is painful. Teething usually ends by the time they are six months old.
Some experts recommend giving your puppy frozen items to chew on while teething, such as unique toys that can be frozen, ice cubes, or frozen and wet washcloths.
Another option to combat teething is to give your puppy general guidance to restrict chewing, which we get into further in the next section.
Steps to take to combat aggressive chewing
There are several steps that you can take to combat your dog’s aggressive chewing habits.
Dog-proof your house
Dog-proofing your house should always be the first step that you take. Put any valuable items away that you don’t want your dog getting to. That includes putting clothes and shoes in a closed closet, books on high shelves, and dirty laundry in the hamper.
Give your dog his or her own toys
Once your dog has their own toys, they will start to learn to chew on those instead of your personal items. Be sure to pay attention to the toys that your dog is particularly fond of, so that you can continue offering those types.
If your dog gets bored quickly, then you should introduce a new toy or rotate them out every few days. That way, your dog won’t get bored of chewing on the same toys every day.
Choosing from our list of the best dog toys for aggressive chewers will bring you one step closer to combating their destructive chewing.
Image Source: Pixabay.com
Supervise your dog
If you find that your dog is becoming destructive when you aren’t around, then you may want to try and supervise him or her until you’re confident that the chewing habits are under control.
That way, you’ll be there to take items out of their mouth that shouldn’t be there and replace them with a dog toy. Then, give him lots of praise while he’s playing with his toy!
When you are unable to supervise your dog, find ways to keep him from chewing on things that he shouldn’t. That may include keeping him in a confined space, such as a crate or a small room with the door closed.
However, we don’t recommend leaving your dog alone in a small space for more than six hours. If you would need to do so, we recommend finding a pet sitter or a doggie daycare.
How We Reviewed
Image Source: Unsplash.com
All of the options on our list of the best dog toys for aggressive chewers have great reviews and ratings on Amazon. This ensures that families and their fur babies love them. We took customers’ comments into account for each one, as well as professional reviews, which are sprinkled throughout the article.
All of our options are safe for your pup to chew and are sure to stand the test of time when up against your tough chewer!
The 10 Best Dog Toys for Aggressive Chewers
Without further ado, here are our top 10 options of the best dog toys for aggressive chewers — which are some of the best chew toys out there!
Monster K9 Dog Toys Ultra-Durable Chew Ring Toy
- VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTIBLE: Our proprietary natural rubber compound is engineered to be as strong and indestructible as physically possible. Whether you have a high-energy dog who plays non-stop, or a super aggressive chewer, our toys are designed and proven to outlast it all. Give your big dog a real challenge with a toy they’ll love!
- AGGRESSIVE CHEWER APPROVED: Our industrial-strength natural rubber toys are tested & approved by thousands of large dogs and the most aggressive chewers: German Shepherds, Pitbulls, Bully’s, Labs,and more. Our toys have passed the ultimate test, with great reviews to back them up! So if your dog can destroy our toys, they are one of the toughest dogs around 😉
- 100% SAFE & NON-TOXIC: Our dog toys are made with a unique natural rubber compound that is 100% safe & Non-Toxic, tested and verified by a 3rd party, and unlike most "durable" dog toys, they aren’t made of hard synthetic materials like plastic or nylon, so they won’t splinter and won’t harm your dogs dental health (not to mention your floors and furniture). For your dog’s health, and your peace of mind
- 6.5 inches (diameter) by 1.25 inches (thickness)
- 13.6 ounces
- Lifetime replacement guarantee
This ultra-durable ring toy is made from incredibly tough, industrial-strength natural rubber. Monster K9 Dog Toys claims that it is virtually indestructible. So, it will be perfect for even the toughest of chewers.
This toy features a robust, shock-absorbing design. It is even puncture resistant! Monster K9 Dog Toys tested the toy with Pitbulls, Mastiffs, German Shepherds, and other aggressive chewers. It is well-approved, to say the least!
It is an incredible toy for chewing, playing fetch, or tug-of-war. It is 100 percent safe and made from non-toxic materials. It is even considered one of the best indestructible dog toys by Good Housekeeping!
Where to buy
Nylabone Power Chew Big Chew Knot Bone
- VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTIBLE - Long-lasting nylon bone with robust chewing ends stands up to the biggest and most extreme chewers
- LOOKS LIKE A REAL KNOT BONE - Dog bone chew toy created in a familiar shape and keeps furry friends occupied
- DISCOURAGES DESTRUCTIVE CHEWING - Durable design encourages healthy chewing habits
- 9.6 ounces
- 7.2 by 2 by 2.5 inches
Nylabones are one of the most popular toys among those who have dogs that are severe chewers. This knot bone from Nylabone is no exception to that. It is made out of extra-tough nylon, which is ideal for powerful chewers that weigh over 50 pounds.
Nylabone claims that this bone is virtually indestructible, so it can keep your pup entertained for hours on end. A bonus to this toy is that it promotes dental hygiene. It features bristles that are raised during chewing, which will clean teeth and control plaque and tartar. Of course, this toy will encourage positive chewing habits, too.
Made in the USA, this Nylabone can help with boredom, destructive chewing, dental care, stress and anxiety, training and rewards, and weight management. Your dog will love the delicious chicken flavor that comes along with it!
Where to buy
West Paw Qwizl Treat Toy
- DURABLE DOG CHEW TOYS FOR AGGRESSIVE CHEWERS: Keep your friendly Fido busy and entertained with this dog toy puzzle that features a hidden treat he must discover during play.
- INTERACTIVE CHEW TOYS FOR DOGS: If you have an aggressive chewer at home, safeguard your furniture by giving him this brightly-colored chew toy puzzle that will occupy your pets for hours.
- MENTALLY STIMULATING DOG TOYS: Prolong play with this mentally stimulating dog toy puzzle that extends the life of expensive dog treats and is fun to fetch, toss and catch after the treats are gone.
- 10.2 ounces
- 5.9 inches by 2.4 inches by 6.5 inches
Does your dog get bored quickly? That may be the cause of their chewing habits! Thankfully, there are toys out there specifically for these dogs.
The Qwizl toy from West Paw is designated just for your bored pup. It is durable enough for the toughest chewers. It is a puzzle-type of gadget that you stuff with treats, so your dog can spend their time figuring out how to get the food out!
There are side openings that release the scent and taste of the treat inside, whereas the interior hole lets the treats extend out. There are also flexible ridges made to grip various sizes of treats. Plus, its curved shape makes it easy for dogs to grasp it with their paws!
This fantastic toy is latex-free, dishwasher safe, made in the USA, and FDA-compliant. It’s no wonder why this is one of the best dog toys for aggressive chewers!
Where to buy
Benebone Maplestick/Bacon stick
- BETTER THAN REAL STICKS – Real sticks are a dirty, splintering mess. The Maplestick’s unique shape means it’s always easy to grab hold and get a good chew going. Upgrade your fetch game.
- DURABLE, LONG-LASTING – Super chewer? Bring it on. The Maplestick is tougher than real sticks and lasts for weeks.
- REAL WOOD FLAVOR – Dogs dig wood flavor, so we use real maple wood. Your furniture legs will thank us.
- 7.2 ounces (shipped)
- 6.5 inches by 3.5 inches by 1.2 inches
Does your dog love chewing on sticks, but you can’t seem to find enough for him? Well, this imitation bone toy is even better than the real thing. Your dog will fall in love with it, so much so that you’ll have trouble finding other toys that he will chew on!
The Benebone, which comes in a maple flavor or bacon flavor, is a durable fetching toy that will have your dog chewing on it all day long. It provides 100 percent authentic taste.
The maple bone is a wood chew and is made from nothing other than 100 percent USA-sourced nylon and 100 percent USA-sourced real maple wood. Each maple stick comes from New York (Sugar Maples are New York’s state tree)!
One of the best parts about purchasing a Benebone is that the company commits to the welfare of dogs through community involvement and product donations.It’s vital to note that the Benebone is not edible, so you need to supervise your dog carefully and discard or replace it when necessary.
Where to buy
Chuckit! Ultra Ball
- ULTRA BOUNCE BALL: This ball toy for dogs entices play withhigh impact bouncing! Play fetch at the lake or pool thanks to the lightweight, buoyant design. Compatible with Chuckit! ball launcher.
- TOUGH & DURABLE: Rubber ball for dogs has a textured surface & a thick rubber core for aggressive chewers yet is soft on dog's mouths.
- PET TOYS: Get ready for bonding & fun with your dogs & cats! Check out a variety of our pet toy products such as frisbees, perches & mirrors for birds, prey wand toys for cats, plush toys, light-up interactive toys & more.
- 6.6 ounces
- 2.5 inches by 2.5 inches by 2.5 inches
Any dog owner with an aggressive chewer knows the struggle of having your dog rip tennis ball after tennis ball to shreds. With the Chuckit! Ultra Ball, you don’t have to worry so much about that anymore!
This fun ball features sounds and high bounces. It has a thick rubber core with a textured surface that is ideal for aggressive chewers but will stay soft on their mouth. With its bright blue and orange colors, you’ll have high visibility to ensure that you won’t lose it.
The Chuckit! ball can also float. It has excellent buoyancy that makes it perfect for playing in pools, lakes, or other bodies of water.
Where to buy
M.C.works Pineapple Dog Chew Toy
- SAFE UNIQUE HOLLOW PINEAPPLE SHAPE&FLAVOR DESIGN : made from nature rubber non-toxic with seductive pineapple flavored , appeal dog to chew and play , toy's raised textured well clean your dog's teeth ,stimulate gums and reduce tartar
- HIGHLY BITE-RESISTANT DURABLE DOG TOYS - Upgrade toughest rubber material weight 11oz , shock-absorbing , sturdy tough enough nearlly indestructible ,good for tooth
- CUTE DOG CHEW TOYS SOLVE INSTINCUTAL NEEDS&IMPROVE INTELLIGENCE : Treat Dispensing Ball Toy keep dog away from boredom , helps solve chewing, separation anxiety, weight management, crate training, digging, barking . nice interactive dog toys Improve training dogs jumping and reaction ability , throwing and fetch game improve their intelligence etc
- 10.4 ounces
- Lifetime replacement guarantee
If you’re looking for one of the more unique options of the best dog toys for aggressive chewers, this pineapple chew toy might be your choice.
It has a unique shape, is hollow and stuffable for treats, and has a realistic textured surface. This toy is incredibly bite-resistant, which is ideal for the toughest of chewers. It is made out of natural and safe non-toxic rubber.
This toy is an excellent option for both small puppies and large breeds; as long as they love to chew, this is a perfect choice! It has been tested and approved by Pitbulls, German Shepherds, Mastiffs, and American Foxhounds.
Plus, this toy will also help to clean your pup’s teeth, controlling plaque and tartar. It can promote strong jaws and will keep them from being bored. It may even help relieve their anxiety or frustration.
Where to buy
Pet Parents Gnawtlers | Premium Antlers for Dogs
- USA ELK ANTLERS FOR DOGS MEDIUM- Sized for Dogs 20-40lbs, such as Beagles, Poodles and Spaniels. The length of the medium Gnawtler elk antler is 4.5”-5”. The medium antler chew is a good choice for aggressive chewers. Our elk antlers are perfect for the medium pups that need something to gnaw on besides your furniture, shoes and home. Medium Gnawtlers also work great as puppy teething toys for Large size dogs when they are a teething puppy!
- ALL NATURAL, HEALTHY & CLEAN TREAT - Our premium elk antlers for dogs are packed with calcium, phosphorus, manganese and zinc. Unlike other processed & dyed options, Gnawtlers elk antler dog chews have no odor, no mess, and even after hours & hours of gnawing won't leave residue or coloring behind making them great for the indoors and outdoors!
- NOT YOUR AVERAGE ANTLER - To begin, our elk antlers are specially selected from Grade A premium raw elk antlers for their weight, density, color, & shape. Next, they are meticulously sorted, weighed, cut, sanded, inspected, vacuum sealed, & labeled. From their original raw form laying on the forest & mountain floors, all the way to your home we ensure your pup will get the highest quality elk antler for dogs medium with our Gnawtlers.
- 1.76 ounces
Searching for another unique option to keep your furry friend entertained for hours on end? You might want to purchase a Gnawtler, which is available in whole elk, split elk, or whole deer.
Each one comes from a naturally shed antler. Why is this beneficial? It guarantees them to be nature’s natural dog bones and will be the perfect bone marrow dog treats for years and years.
Each Gnawtler is vacuum sealed for your dog’s safety. They are all-natural, healthy, and clean. Gnawtlers are full of phosphorus, calcium, zinc, and manganese.
These antler treats can strengthen your dog without adding the calories and digestive issues that often come with raw hides and processed treats. So, your pup can enjoy these for hours without an odor, mess, or residue left behind!
Where to buy
Pet Qwerks Dinosaur Bacon Flavor Barkbone Dog Chew Toy
- BarkBone Extreme Dog Chew: Made for extremely aggressive chewers, this ultra durable nylon chew helps indulge your dog's natural instincts; Shaped like a bone and infused with a bacon flavor your dog will love
- Discourage Destructive Behavior: Our durable nylon BarkBones come in a range of shapes and flavors, stand up to power chewers, and help promote dental health by massaging gums and cleaning teeth as they chew
- Healthy Chew Outlet: Help your dog satisfy their natural instinct to chew and prevent boredom; The XLarge Dino Bone is recommended for power chewers and small/medium dogs up to 40 pounds
- 7 ounces
- 8.2 inches by 1.8 inches by 3 inches
This is one of the most massive nylon dog chew bones in the world, and won’t disappoint you or your tough chewer. These bones are natural-looking and feeling but also safe. Each one contains pure nylon and real bacon — and is from the USA.
The Pet Qwerks’ bones are non-allergenic, non-toxic, and FDA-compliant. Plus, there are no artificial preservatives either, so you can be sure that they are safe to chew!
Where to buy
Nylabone Power Chew Barbell Chew Toy, Peanut Butter
- FUN & OCCUPYING - Multi textured chew toy keeps dogs busy while satisfying their natural urge to chew
- MADE OF DURABLE NYLON - Long lasting dog chew toy challenges even the most aggressive chewers and discourages destructive chewing
- PROMOTES DOG DENTAL HEALTH - Ridges and nubs help prevent plaque and tartar buildup as dogs chew
- 6.2 ounces
- 4.5 inches by 1.5 inches by 10 inches
Nylabone makes some of the best dog toys for aggressive chewers on the market; we just had to put two of their products on this list. This bone has all of the benefits as the Power Chew Big Chew Knot Bone. However, this option has an allergen-free peanut butter flavor.
We know that you won’t regret choosing a Nylabone for your strong chewer!
Where to buy
AIZARA Dog Chew Toy
- UPDATED MATERIAL - Puppy chew toys material has been upgraded from Feb, 2020, more durable tough nylon material can support longer lasting for even the most aggressive chewers
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL - Natural way to keep jaws strong and teeth clean. Relieve anxiety or frustration by chewing to keep your puppy lively. Help reduce plaque and tartar, discourage destructive chewing and promote safe, healthy chewing habits
- SAFE MATERIAL - BPA and Phthalate free, Non-toxic, No odor and FDA compliant, Our indestructible chew toys won't cause asphyxia or hurt your puppies' gums. But EVERY nylon chew bone toy is not edible and very hard. Supervise closely and discard/replace when appropriate
- 8 ounces
- 1-year guarantee
The final option on our list of the best dog toys for aggressive chewers is the AIZARA Dog Chew Toy. It features an updated durable, nylon material that will last longer for your tough chewer.
This dog toy is multi-functional, as it is a natural way to keep dogs’ jaws strong and teeth clean. It can also help relieve frustration and anxiety in your dog to keep him or her lively!
This dog toy from AIZARA is non-toxic, FDA-compliant, BPA-free, non-odor, and phthalate-free. This toy is not edible, so you must supervise your dog carefully and discard or replace the toy when necessary.
Where to buy
Getting Through the Aggressive Chewing
All in all, when your dog has the best dog toys for aggressive chewers to keep them busy, they’ll likely keep their aggressive chewing habits away from your personal belongings.If you have more severe issues, contact your veterinarian to figure out the best way to proceed. Don’t forget that it’s natural for a dog to chew, though, so try not to stop the habit altogether.
Do you know of a toy that you think should have made our list of the best dog toys for aggressive chewers? Let us know in a comment!
Last update on 2021-10-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API